As a marine core service, the MyOcean objective is to provide to users the best generic information available on the state of the Global ocean and European Seas. MyOcean (2009-2012) , MyOcean2 (2012-2014) and MyOcean Follow-On ( October 2014-March 2015) are committed to develop , run and continuously improve a European service based on a worldwide capacity for ocean monitoring and forecasting, using observations data , modelling and assimilation systems.
MyOcean offers to users a reliable and easy access to valuable ocean core information (past, present and forecast).
The MyOcean service is driven by quality and simplicity: quality of the ocean information provided to users, and simplicity of the access to information. The service is meant for any user requesting generic information on the ocean, and especially downstream service providers who use this information as an input to their own value-added services to end-users.
The MyOcean service consists in providing “core” information on the ocean and can be defined as :
- An integrated Service
- An Open and Free service
- Providing access to a single Catalogue of products
- A reliable service
- A sustainable service
1. An integrated service
MyOcean offers a unique access to oceanographic products, developed by a network of European producers, through an online catalogue
Users can download products according to their needs in a unique format ( netCDF) and benefit from quality and validation information for each of them.
A human organisation, the Service Desk, is dedicated to answer & manage any user request.
2. An Open and Free service
Users benefit from following service provisions without any registration:
- To discover a sole catalogue of products
- In-depth information on products
- Products viewing
- Information on products quality
- News about products & services ( "Newsflash" also accessible through an RSS field)
- Technical FAQs
- Latest improvements on products
- an interactive web-based forum intended for the MyOcean users, scientists, partners and more generally for the whole MyOcean community to exchange and share about operational oceanography topics or MyOcean products.
This complete service portfolio, compliant with EC INSPIRE directive (see July 2014 article on the Focus On Websection) , is open to any users. The MyOcean service is free of charge at the point of use : costs are supported by the European Commission and member states.
3. Providing access to a single Catalogue of products
At the latest service release (October 2014) , the catalogue contains 127 products ( Observation and Modelling products).
MyOcean products are downloadable through the online catalogue.
3-1. Access to products
A user is a person and not a "structure" or an "organisation". The registration only applies to its named holder so the MyOcean service is customized (Warnings, Products evolution and status...). The registration enables the MyOcean Service Desk to adapt the support according to each user's needs.
The registration needs to be done once and takes a few minutes only. Users have to fill a registration form on-line (the Service Level Agreement) in which they agree to respect the terms of the MyOcean licence.
When validated, users receive their own access code generally the very day ( Working hours) or the day after. The registration is treated confidentially.
Once registered, users can download any product they need from the catalogue, for free.
3-2. Downloading products from the online and interactive catalogue
The interactive catalogue allows users to select products according to:
- 7 geographical areas : GLOBAL Ocean, ARCTIC Ocean, BALTIC Sea, Atlantic-European North West Shelf-Ocean, Atlantic-European South West Shelf-Ocean, MEDITERRANEAN Sea, BLACK Sea.
- Parameters : Temperature, Salinity, Currents, Sea Ice, Sea Level, Wind, Ocean Optics, Ocean Chemistry, Ocean Biology, Ocean Chlorophyll.
- Time Coverage : FORECAST, NEAR REAL TIME, MULTI-YEAR (*), TIME INVARIANT products ( either from OBSERVATIONS or MODELLING).
- Models or Observations ( Satellite or InSitu)
- Grid type
- Time span
- Vertical coverage
- Processing Level
- Temporal resolution
User can also select a product by using a KeyWord search or by accessing the full catalogue online
(*) : Multi-Year products also called Long time-series, cover a past period by 10 to 20 years or more. They are regularly upgraded to cover the present time.
Users are offered different on-line downloading options :
- To download the whole product .
- To extract and download only a part of a product ( per area, per variable, for a period of time, some depths).
- To download automatically by using scripts (python) for a regular use.
For an in-depth description, please refer to:
4. A reliable service
MyOcean experts and scientists produce homogeneous quality and validation information per product.
Quality assessment is an important activity in MyOcean Production Centres.
In each MyOcean Production Centre, the scientific assessment as well as the real time scientific routine monitoring, allow the scientific teams to better evaluate the quality and the accuracy of the products.
A dedicated team also issues consistent estimation of the relevant quality accuracy levels for most of the MyOcean products of the catalogue :
- to inform users on the scientific performance of the MyOcean products,
- to detail their system components
- to present the way the "Calibration/Validation" activities are carried on.
These informations are summarized for each product in a Quality Information Document (QuID) .
You can access the QuID and the Product Manual through the "DOCUMENTATION " tab of each MyOcean product.
In addition, you can access Validation statistics providing each quarter a complete historical validation statistics system for most of the near-real-time products.
5. A sustainable service
Last but not least, MyOcean services are sustainable and user-driven. This is the vision of the EU Copernicus programme.
Until March 31st, 2015 (i.e. until the end of the "MyOcean Follow-on" project), MyOcean services are still operated at a "pre-operational" level.
To enable the move to a fully operational Copernicus Marine Environement Monitoring Service as of Spring 2015, MyOcean teams continue to build solid and reliable prototype operations, and to develop the necessary management and coordination environment as well as the useful interfaces necessary to benefit from independent R&D activities.